What is Pi Tau Sigma?
Pi Tau Sigma is the national Honorary Mechanical Engineering Fraternity and is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies. With 142 chapters installed, all but two currently maintain active status. There are chapters at universities in almost every state of the Unites States.
The concept of Pi Tau Sigma was initiated simultaneously at the University Illinois and the University of Wisconsin in 1915. Pi Tau Sigma was formed in 1916 by these two schools. Purdue University and the University of Minnesota were chartered in 1922 and growth has continued since then.
Objectives of Pi Tau Sigma:
- Foster high ideals in the engineering profession
- Stimulate and support departmental activities
- Promote the Mutual Professional Welfare of its Members
- Develop in Students Attributes Necessary for Effective Leadership and
the assumption of the Responsibilities of a Citizen in a Democracy
Active Membership Qualifications
- Top one fourth of the junior class
- Top one third of the senior class
- Undergraduate degree from a school not having a Pi Tau Sigma chapter
- Recommendation from two Pi Tau Sigma faculty members
©2009 Pi Tau Sigma - Sigma Iota