Mahdi Shahbakhti is an assistant professor of Mechanical Engineering at at Michigan Technological University. Prior to this appointment in Aug 2012, he was a post-doctoral scholar at the University of California-Berkeley. He received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Alberta in Canada in 2009. He worked several years on control of dynamic systems in the automotive (2001-2004), robotic (2000-2001), and HVAC (1998-2000) industries. Some of his past academic and industrial research experience includes modeling and control of dynamic systems, analysis of combustion engines, utilization of alternative/renewable fuels, vehicular emissions, and hybrid electric vehicles.
- Alternative/Renewable fuels and energy
- Control of hybrid electric vehicles
- Modeling and control of energy use in buildings
- Developing clean and energy-efficient combustion engines
- Methods to reduce harmful vehicular emissions