Ray Kauppila earned bachelor degrees in both Mechanical Engineering
and Mathematics from the University of Michigan in 1951. He
then came to Tech as a teacher in 1957 and received a M.S.
in Mechanical Engineering from MTU in 1960. He left MTU briefly
to earn his Ph.D. from the University of Michigan in 1968.
Kauppila served MTU as a teacher and researcher from 1957
until his retirement in 1988. He came to Tech after working
in industry for several years, bringing to the design curriculum
an invaluable background, steeped in the realities of industrial
design, yet firmly based on a foundation of mathematical and
engineering science. His inquiring mind and his uncompromising
quest for excellence left its mark on a generation of design
students in the Mechanical Engineering Department. Few were
unaffected by his intensity in the classroom and his insights
in the design laboratory. While at MTU he served a stint as
chief engineer at the Keweenaw Research Center and maintained
strong ties with the mining industry through his pioneering
work in roof bolting. He was instrumental in the implementation
of what is now called the Computer Aided Engineering Laboratory.